We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1 March 2015.
Information we may collect, may include, by way of example:
- your name and contact information, including email address and company details;
- your billing information, transaction and payment card information;
- information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with our products and contact preferences in order to provide you with further correspondence about our products and services.
What do we do with the information we collect?
We will hold and use your personal information on our computer systems and we may pass this personal information to third party service providers for the explicit purposes set out below.
We will use this information for the following reasons:
- to reply to feedback via the SMS feedback service;
- to process transactions and fulfil tickets;
- internal record keeping and maintenance;
- to improve our products and services;
- to treat you more personally;
- to tailor how our site can help you;
- for analysis about how customers use the website;
- for analysis of our marketing activities;
- to facilitate the delivery of loyalty scheme activity (including Nectar, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and Virgin Red);
- to track usage of particular websites through the on-board and Hotspot Wi-Fi;
- to follow up if you have purchased goods or services from our website;
- to follow up as part of our customer care procedures; and/or
- to contact you for market research purposes (see the section under “Marketing” below).
- to facilitate the provision of goods and services from third parties accessed from our website;
Card payment details
Payment card data will be stored on the website for 90 days (a period of time to allow for changes to a journey). When purchasing a ticket, if you select to 'Remember this card', your card details will be stored in 'My Account' for 18 months after the date of your last booking.
We may use your personal information to contact you with offers, promotions and communications in line with the consent you have provided.
In relation to email (as opposed to post or fax), if you are a customer or have previously asked us for information on our products or services, we may send you information on our range of products and services by email, unless you have asked us not to do so. We may also email you information if you have asked us to send you marketing emails unless you ask us not to in the future. In relation to receiving marketing and other information from us, you may change your mind at any time by accessing 'My Account' on the Virgin Trains East Coast Main Line Company Limited website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who do we share this information with?
We respect your privacy and will not sell or lease your personal information. We may pass this personal information to third party service providers to facilitate the activities listed at “What do we do with the information we collect?”. These third party companies will be required to use your personal information in accordance with applicable Data Protection legislation currently in force.
We may transfer your personal information to any company who takes over the East Coast Main Line Company Limited, trading as Virgin Trains East Coast to enable them to use that information in line with the consent you have provided, or where lawfully requested or required to do so by legal or regulatory authorities.
This process may include sending personal information to other countries, whose data protection laws may not be as extensive as in the European Economic Area. However, we have taken appropriate steps to ensure the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area
How to get copies of or amend the information we have collected?
You may request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee may be payable. If you would like details of the personal information we store about you, please write to:
Virgin Trains East Coast Customer Relations
If you think any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or email us as soon as possible at email@example.com.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect on line. We use encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information.
We may link to other websites which are not within our control. Once you have left our website, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy and cookie statements applicable to the website in question.
Virgin Trains strive to protect the privacy of all personally identifiable information collected during the course of providing services and it is important for you to know how we process your data. By using our services or providing us with information you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy and also agree to be bound by our Terms and Conditions.
Virgin Trains is the trading name for Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries as follows: Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 4196341. Virgin Rail Group Limited, Registered in England & Wales No. 328548. West Coast Trains Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 3007940. Registered Office: The Battleship Building, 179 Harrow Road, London, W2 6NB, VAT no. 672859095.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect and process the following data:
- Information you provide to us by filling in forms on our site
- Information collected through correspondence with our Sales and/or Customer Relations teams
- Information you provide when signing on to station and/or onboard Wi-Fi
- Information you provide when using Beam (onboard entertainment system)
- Information you provide when booking direct via www.virgintrains.com or through a Virgin Trains ticket office
- Information you provide for loyalty purposes
- Information you provide when registering for Bump
- Information you provide to us through the recruitment process
- Information you provide to us in order to register for alerts
- Social Media interaction
- Information you provide to us by entering competitions
- CCTV at our Stations and On-Board
- Statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns for the administration of your application for employment with Virgin Trains
We may require you to submit personally identifiable information in order for you to make use of our services. You confirm that any information you enter will be true. We will only request and collect information which is necessary or reasonable in order to provide you with your requested services and to improve the services that we provide. It will not be a requirement to provide any additional information which is not needed to provide the services.
Use of information collected
The personal information you provide is used for operational purposes, for example, producing tickets, processing payments or confirming orders, alerting you about your booked journeys, and to personalise your shopping experience by using your purchases and browsing activity to make recommendations to you about products and services that we think may be of interest to you.
We and/or our authorised third parties (including the Association of Train Operating Companies) may also use your personal information: (a) for internal market research and analysis purposes; (b) to carry out survey related activities with you, and (c) dealing with any complaints, refunds and other ticketing / travel issues.
Who do we share your information with?
The information you provide to us may be accessed by our staff, business partners, Virgin Group companies and carefully selected third parties in the course of providing services. We may also use information in aggregate, where personally identifiable information is removed, for marketing and strategic development to improve and support our business.
Some of your information may be transferred out of the European Economic Area (EEA), where data protection laws are not as strong. We will however make every effort to ensure that third parties comply with this policy and the Data Protection Act as much as possible.
Virgin Trains will not share or distribute any of the information you provide to us to unaffiliated third parties without receiving your consent, unless required to do so by Law.
We employ administrative, electronic and physical security measures to ensure that the information that we collect about you is protected from access by unauthorised persons and protected against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage. By using our website and/or services you acknowledge and agree that, except to the extent required by the Data Protection laws, we shall not be responsible for any unauthorised use, distribution, damage or destruction of personal data. We will only retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of the data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
We may link you to third party websites which have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy policies, content or security of these websites.
Some of the information you provide to Virgin Trains when applying for vacancies through our careers service may be sensitive personal data which requires your explicit consent to permit us to process it. If you do not tick the box on the application form confirming that you accept the declaration then Virgin Trains will not be able to accept your application.
We will only use this data:
- for confirming your suitability for the work that you carry out, including any checks that are required by Virgin Trains or any other body to be made with the Criminal Records Bureau which may result in Virgin Trains retaining information about criminal convictions;
- in connection with your health including screening and making decisions based on any health records which may be collected by, or transferred to, Virgin Trains;
- for any statutory requirements relating to you or your application;
- for monitoring our selection processes;
- to transfer to your employee file if your application is successful;
- for retention following the outcome of any unsuccessful application.
We employ CCTV on our trains and in our stations in order to:
- prevent, deter and detect crime
- apprehend and prosecute offenders, and provide evidence to take civil action in the courts
- help provide a safer environment for our staff
- protect public safety
- help to provide improved customer service, for example by enabling staff to see customers requiring assistance
- monitor operational and safety related incidents
- assist with the verification of claims
You have the right to make a Subject Access Request for CCTV images of yourself and to ask for a copy of them. We are entitled by law to charge an administrative fee for this and you will need to complete an application form provided by us in order for us to establish your identity as the person in the pictures and assist us in finding the images in our system.
Such requests should be directed to Virgin Trains at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively by post to Customer Relations, Virgin Trains, FREEPOST BM 6613, PO BOX 713, Birmingham, B5 4HH. Your correspondence should be marked 'Subject Access Request - CCTV'
We reserve the right to withhold information where permissible by the Data Protection Act and we will only retain CCTV images for a reasonable period or as long as is required by law. In certain circumstances we may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons. When this is done there is a requirement for the organisation that has received the images to adhere to the Data Protection Act.
You have the right to request to see the personal information that we hold on you, as well as request that inaccurate information be corrected. Any request to update incorrect information or to opt-out of any communications that you initially agreed to receive should be directed to Virgin Trains at email@example.com or alternatively by post to Customer Relations, Virgin Trains, FREEPOST BM 6613, PO BOX 713, Birmingham, B5 4HH.
We are entitled by law to charge an administrative fee (Up to £10) towards our costs in processing such requests and we may require proof of your identity before we supply the information to you.
This policy was last updated on 03/06/2016
Virgin Trains is the trading name for Virgin Rail Group Holdings and its subsidiaries as follows: Virgin Rail Group Holdings Limited Registered in England and Wales No. 4196341. Virgin Rail Group Limited Registered in England & Wales No. 328548. West Coast Trains Limited Registered in England and Wales No. 3007940. Registered Office The Battleship Building, 179 Harrow Road, London, W2 6NB